Old 06-13-06, 04:54 PM
bboseley

Bikes: Trek 5500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Report Card !

I would like a few observations as to “how I’m riding.” Go ahead and dish it out, I can take it. First a few fast facts so we know what we are talking about. Age 64, retired for 9 years. Most of working life was pushing a pencil behind a desk. Took up golf after retirement and saw that I was not going to get ANY exercise from that. Bought my bike about 18 months ago. Live in Florida and ride the flats, but in some pretty extreme summer heat and humidity. Rides are about 90% paved trails, and 10% roads. The bike is a very good quality road bike, very light, so I can’t blame anything on it.

My standard ride, which I don’t get to do nearly as often as I want due to weather, other commitments, etc. – but I try hard to get out 2 or 3 times a week.

The trail I ride is 60 miles round trip, two or three intersections calling for very slow if not stopped briefly. The best I have done speed wise for the round trip is exactly 15mph, actual measured average speed.

I tend to not ride at a very steady pace. I know I start out too fast. I do a sprint or two up to 25-27 mph, but these are short lived. I also tend to “chase” faster riders – not to catch their wheel obviously – but just to see if I can keep their pace. Lots of expended energy for no really good reason?

So, should I be going lots faster? I do continue to improve slowly, and by summer’s end I think I can do the 60 at perhaps 17mph.

Go ahead and shoot me down. I would also like any suggestions for learning to maintain a more constant pace. Thanks.