Old 06-14-06, 11:40 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
There's nothing left to do except ride it.
(snip)
I'm fighting the urge to build up yet another bike.

Well, are you a cyclist or a cycle builder?

I understand the urge to tinker all too well: I work as an audio engineer, and I swear I probably spend more time upgrading gear, performing maintenance, building/installing/evaluating new equipment, or just plain futzing around with stuff, than I do recording music! And that can be very satisfying in its own right; both are valid & necessary tasks, I'm certainly not being judgemental about the cyclist versus cycle builder thing. But when I got involved in serious cycling I realized that it could become *very* easy for me to slip into a similar mindset, where it became more about the gear than it did about what one does with the gear, and I knew that for me that would've been disasterous: I don't need another obsession where I tinker, I already get that from my work! I got involved in cycling to ride the bike, period. I want to keep it that way.

So if you like riding, and your bike is "pretty much exactly the way (you) want it" consider yourself one of the lucky few, and go ride! Enjoy!

And if you like building bikes, admit to yourself that you do, that there's nothing wrong with that, and that it is a valid and worthy pursuit...and then go build up another bike! Enjoy!