View Single Post
Old 07-06-03, 09:03 PM
Electricview

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i've read a few posts here and other places , some state exactly the above that there's not much difference.. some state that the hybrids go quite a bit faster than the mountain bikes on slicks.. I really cant say, i just know what i tried out there.. and the mountain bike with slicks comes to more money becuase i will have to buy new tires they wont just trade me at the bike shop.. (at least he didnt offer that, and i would have asumed he would have after the 3 hours i spent there undecided upon which bike)

do mountain bike slicks pump up to 80 psi as well? becuase i think that is what is making WORLDS difference over the mountain and comfort bikes.. (by the way, how is a comfort bike that much different from a mountain bike besides the spring seat and handle bars and non nubby tires?) ... The only thing i wasn't liking about the mountain bike was the fact that my wrists were getting VERY fatigued after about 2 or 3 minutes of riding.. i found i needed to sit back and ride with no hands to get some relaxed feeling in them.. (i also found when i was younger with my mountain bike i'd allways feel so much better when i could sit up right for a few minutes becuase my back got so tired on mountain bikes)...

I would go for the sirrus but its about another 100 bucks more than this bike, plus it seems to have a mountain bike stance/layout which is what i'm trying to avoid.. Yes i realize when the wind blows i'll hate myself.. but when i'm riding with the wind i'll be sailin! if my butt ever gets used to the seat i think i'll be more comfortable in an upright position..

the only drawback i can see with the 7200 is the frame would NOT support mountain bike tires if i decided to go to it... the frame is well built and could take the beating, but according to the guy, mountain bike tires are too thick.. Im not sure if there are tires that are a little more 'off road' type for the 7200 or not.. But its the one main thing i have to deal with if i DO infact positively choose this bike.. I really do not ever see myself going camping.. So i dont see myself taking a bike to trails or anything specific like that.. I mostly see myself going out for rides on the sidewalk and paved bike trail to get excercise and just get outside.. I'd have to go find offroad trails to ride which i have no idea where any are and I dont see myself in the immediate future going to the type of biking...Actually if i was going to do offroad stuff i'd probably get a BMX bike or something that can really handle lots of jumps and stuff and has a chain thats not gonna fall off due to switching gears.. But thats hear nor there..

I appreciate EVERYOnes feedback, and do not mean to start wars against hybrid bikes.. I understand there's alot of people who just for some reason have it out for them.. and there's other people who swear by them.. I could be come one or the other if/after i own one.. I just know at the store the hybrid bike gave me the most distance and speed as well as just felt lighter when pedaling (the bike really felt like it just wanted to go) where as the mountain bike felt sluggish and draged a bit, and the comfort bike was somewhere in between....

I did NOT try any road bikes.. I guess i just didnt want to get that heavy into the price range, and i just never really felt a road bike was for me..

does anyone have any opinion on the trek 7200 over the specialized crossroad series? the crossroad exec i think it is, isn't carried there but comes to about 399. about the same price range as the 7200.. I definately prefered the 7200 to the crossroad with the steel body , but it was a few minor things that felt better, not quiet positive if it was worth the total 120 extra dollars.. but i'm leaning towards the 7200 right now... (haven't gone in yet ,they haven't built the other crossroad yet)