Old 06-16-06, 06:22 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When you say "good on the hills" most people assume you want to race up hills... some of the fators are helpful regardless of speed, but losing a few pounds on a bike will help... less mass to get up the hill.

However, it sounds like you are talking generally about pretty short rides, and depending on the college campus a big hill is probably only a block long. First lesson in humility, it is OK to push up a hill (I know this is probably blasphemy on BFN, but I am a rebel.

I would suggest an old solid (and unfortunately heavy) bike like a Schwinn Collegiate from the 70's. Virtually free (under $50), almost theft proof from the offset as long as you have a lock (nobody wants one) but it will survive anything short of a direct hit from an anti-tank gun.

However, if you decide to go lighter, like has been mentioned, minimize the chance that anyone wil recognize it as a quality bike by removing stickers (or placing some misleading ones). Heck, buy a nice 531 lugged steel beauty, label it as a Schwinn Collegiate and then scuff it up...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson