View Single Post
Old 07-08-03, 03:15 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have had this problem before...

if i remember right it was my middle chainring. if the small chianring is worn the result is usually chainsuck, but for the middle and big rings you usually get slippage when they are worn. it's a super loud obnoxious cracking noise (and i often hit my knee on the handlebar since there is no counter-pressure - ouch!).

if the slippage is bad, then replace now before you damage your chain. if it's not really bad you could wait as danka24 suggested and it might settle out.

i agree that a loose chain will contribute to the problem. check that you have the right length and not too moch slack.

if you need to replace there are 2 options:
1) buy a single chainring(s) and replace it - you have to pull the crank which is not hard but you need a $15 crank puller - and a single ring costs like $10-40 depending on what you buy (crap, LX, XT, steel/aluminum/titanium)
2) buy a whole new crank (both left and right cranks plus the 2 chainrings) which can often be cheaper than replacing 2 rings - maybe $50-$200 depending on Doere, LX, XT, XTR or non-Shimano - and then you have allnew stuff.

i had slippage on my commuter middle ring recently and bought a whole new Doere crank for about $65 i think and changed it myself. on my full suspension i replaced the middle ring (slippage) and the small ring (chainsuck).