Thread: Ohio Newbie
View Single Post
Old 06-19-06, 06:46 AM
Identity Crisis
Nothing Short of Thankful

Bikes: '12 Raleigh Furley, '08 KHS Flite 900, '06 Bianchi San Jose (RIP), '04 Fuji World

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newoldgal
Lately I've been riding my around exploring my new community. Riding in traffic can be a breath taking/ life changing experience. Each time I make it home alive I feel exhalirated! I've been on lots of the trails in NE Ohio, the Towpath is great. Ohio has created so many beautiful places to ride.
Hey there.. might I recommend the Akron Bicycling Club and Century Cycles as two places to look for riding oppurtunities. The ABC has various social rides on the road and on the towpath and hike & bike trail every week. They also sponsor or support some larger rides in northeast Ohio. It's a great group to hang with, very friendly folks and you don't have to be a speed demon to participate! If you are one they have plenty of recreational and advanced road rides on the biggest hills you could imagine as well. Check them out at www.akronbike.org .

Century Cycles has shops in Medina, Peninsula and Rocky River. There's a few other bike shops in the Akron area, Eddys, Ernie's, Cuy Falls Wheel & Wrench, etc. but I don't get out to them as much. So not knowing much about them to give an objective opinion I'll stick with Century... they have a monthly night ride on the tow path, social pace, good turnout, lots of fun. They normally keep literature in their shops for the various clubs and riding oppurtunities in the area, also you can normally pick a copy of Crankmail (Ohio cycling newsletter) and the Ohio Bicycle Events Calender from them. It's a great place to stop and pick up a new ride, add on to your existing one or get some mechanical stuff done. They're very customer service oriented!

I hope that helped... I don't get to go out and do group rides very often.. my work schedule is very unconventional and I have a gift for getting stuck at work every time there is a ride I want to participate in.