Old 06-22-06, 07:10 PM
Mooo
I am the Eggman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My turn for a Ross story

Whan I were but a wee laddie, I shelled out fistfulls of paper route money for a new Ross Eurosport (I came within about an inch and a half of getting a used Schwinn Super Sport - too big, blast). I'm thinking 169 new in 79 or 80. While the other kids in the 8th or 9th grade were getting wound up about stick and ball sports, that Ross introduced me to a good many of the back roads in our county.
In fact, I took it on my first tour, after my sophomore year of high school. From near Boston to near DC. (has it really been 25 years!?), steel rims in the rain, vinyl bar tape, suicide levers, sag support, 20 other kids...
Eventually, I grew aware of it's limitations - shimano front freewheel, no eyelets on the front fork, no freewheel on the rear wheel... it was going to cost a fortune to gear it low enough to wade around with panniers... So I bought a Nishiki Royale.

In college I helped lead tours for the same group I'd ridden with. One of our "regulars" started out on a Huffy, but soon moved up to a Ross Gran Tour II (?). I looked it over when he bought it, eyelets, a decent wheelbase, decent looking frame... He rode that all over, to Florida, Wisconsin, St Louis, Gettysburg, Nova Scotia... An under rated touring bike, I think. Not flashy, but pretty functional. 280 or 300 something new, I think.