cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Raketmensch
As for Americans' general oblivious relationship with football/soccer, it's a shame, but there it is. It's the same thing with cycling... nobody here knows anything about cycling except Lance and the Tour. Mention Paris-Roubaix, or even mention Greg Lemond, to anybody here, and chances are you'll get a blank stare.
plenty enough fans of soccer here in the states, and with the huge rise in kids/club/school leagues, it is building a nice following. Who really cares if it ever outstrips any of the other tradtional US spectator sports. The value of anything is usually the inverse of itz couch potato factor. Once it becomes a real cash cow to be exploited here in the US, it will be the same as all the rest.
What does make WC a bit special is that Costa Rica or Ivory Coast or Croatia can kick our ass (and some other bigger countries as well...)
Thats special.

Having been born in one country, citizen of another, spent plenty of time in many of the others, its hard to develop any 'nationalistic' fervor. so I root for the small countries, who play with heart and style. I root for the large countries whose players don't resort to felonious assault from behind their opponents. Brasil and Argentina are mostly hard to fault and not like, they indeed hold 'joga bonito' to the high altar. Lets hope the host team and many of the others aspire to doing the same in the coming matches.

As for cycling and spectating, its like watching a round of 'flog', and unless you have a real understanding of the 'game' and appreciate the effort and nuiance (strategies, players, course layouts, etc) , cycle road racing spectating is prolly on level with watching bass fishing.
Given that and that it can't be held in Vegas, I'm pleasantly surprised to get even 2 hours of broadcast a week.
Now Track Racing is a bird of a different order. Hard not to get really animated when you see a good sprint, points or Madison.