View Single Post
Old 07-09-03, 10:57 PM
colna-joe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had one bad crash. I was going down a hill at about 30 to 35 mph. There was a school bus about 100 ft ahead of me. I looked in the bus, and saw no one in it (atleast I thought I did). Well, at the bottom of the hill was another road, which the bus slowed down at. At just about this time, I took my eyes off the road for what seemed like just a second, and I looked back up to see the bus about 50 ft ahead of me, mind you I'm still going 35mph.

Well, I applied my brakes and realized that I was going to end up on the ground one way or another. I began to go over some options:

1. Run into the back of the bus.
2. Go around the bus on the right side (cement median to the left) and risk hitting some kids.
3. Or run my bike off the road and hope for the best.

Well, as I was thinking, it seemed that I had squeezed the brakes too hard and locked them up. The last thing I remember was bouncing up and down about three or four times and then I woke up laying on top of the bike, about 10 ft away from the bus, my bike a a mangled heap, my jersey torn down the side, my helmet shattered, and a small case of road rash. Everyone was very friendly to me despite my incredibly stupid mistake, and one guy gave me a ride home.

Ever since then, I have removed anything on my bike that may distract me (computers, ect.) and I try my best not to go sight seeing when going down hill.