Old 06-26-06, 02:15 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New IF, Component Compatibility Question

My new IF Club Racer is (hopefully) being created - scheduled for a late August delivery.

This is going to be a Brevet / Light Touring rig, with potential for heavier touring with a trailer.

I've recently switched my current bike to a compact double. I'm planning on using this on the IF, but I was wondering about comaptibility of the following components: (I'm currently riding Ultegra, minus the compact double, I still have the long cage rear)

1. Thinking of going to Campy Chorus or Record brifters. (maybe SRAM?)
2. I'll have a Ritchey Pro compact crank 50-34
3. Long reach Shimano brakes (for larger tires / fender clearance)
4. Was thinking about using a SRAM or Shimano MT rear derailer - for the option of going to a larger cassette. My typical cassette will be a 9 spd 12 -26 - I'd like the option of going to a 11-34 or 13-30, and understand that a regular road derailer can't do this. (or maybe a Sheldon Brown Cyclotouriste 14...)

I'll assume the Campy will work fine with the cranks. I've seen plenty of compacts with a mix of components.

I'll assume that the brifters will work fine with the Shimano long reach brakes. (any other makers out there?)

I'm not sure about the rear...

... and if the rear doesn't work, I'll assume I can swap the front rings to get a better range for touring.

(off to the gear calculator I go...)

Any thoughts? Issues with this approach?

I'm not averse to a triple - but I just swapped it out for the compact, as I found I rarely used it - and that the compact gives me a greater range that I feel more comfortable in...