Old 07-01-06, 12:35 AM
Dave Moulton
ex frame builder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recieved this email last November:

Sir: I have a bike that was custom made for me by a Lockheed Engineer by the name of Mike Moulton, name stamped on fork. He made this for me in 1949 and I raced it all over America as well as a member of the All American Team that toured Japan in 1951.(3) Cal. State Championship, 49,50, 51. Are you any kin to Mike?----JOE

I wrote back:

Dear Joe, That is a very interesting story, but I had not heard of Mike Moulton before and I am pretty sure we are not related. Moulton is a fairly common English name, and in any US city you will find several in the phone book. Do you still have the bike? Best regards, Dave Moulton.

And Joe responded:

YES, I still have the bike and in fact it is in great condition. In those days there were no bike carriers and most of us put our bikes in the truck of the car. After making several races in a year, you would have several paint nicks in the frame, so we had the framed chromed and when I took the bike out of storage a few years back, I polished it up and had outline stripping redone, so the frame looks like new. Cleaned up the wheels, the Williams Sprocket , block chain, ordinal pedals, handle bars, Brooks saddle in good shape, new spokes and tires and it is set up just as it was the last time I rode it in 1952.