View Single Post
Old 07-03-06, 07:46 PM
Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm never getting Lasic Surgery

You have your heart into something when you've shed blood, sweat, and tears for it. I was driving my pile of parts and new frame to the LBS to have it built up. I'm doing about 65 mph on a 55 mph two lane road, a work truck is doing about the same speed in the oncoming lane. I find my spinal cord running the show, making me duck and throw up my hand, giving my brain enough free resources to contemplate the concept of a shattered, spiraling, 2x4, seemingly hovering over the hood of my car. The resounding thud of the windshield caving in was engaging enough for me to have a vivid memory of a piece of wood, about 2 feet long, broken on the left side, flat and slightly askew against my crazed white, windshield. Glass was spraying inward, frozen in the air, a la the Matrix.

I pull over, in what turned out to be a paramedic's driveway, the truck hauls tail. I am covered with powder fine glass, and have gazillions of itty bitty cuts, that just well up a touch of blood. I looked like I had a wicked case of the measles or something, except my eyes. I wear glasses and have a reverse raccoon mask of white skin on an otherwise red speckled face. Long story short(ish): I need a new windshield, and a careful shower (which I could have done at home, but my new favorite paramedic, insisted I get the full hospitality of the fine folks at Athens Regional. Someone there gave me one of their own shirts from their locker because mine was coated). Eyes are fine, and just as importantly I don't have a case of wood poisoning.

I have resented looking through glasses for years, just not more than getting over the thought of having one's eyes cut on. Now that I've experienced that a bit more up close and personal than I would have cared, I love glasses. I'm going to sleep and shower in my glasses. I completely understand why some folks ware those huge, heavily reinforced, brown plastic, frames. I even now understand the wrap around, tinted plastic, insert things that are favored by cataract patients and old union guys.
Glasses rock.
Oh, I got my frame to the LBS. I've already bled for it, it's going to be a great frame.

--A

Last edited by Allen; 07-03-06 at 10:14 PM.