View Single Post
Old 07-06-06, 06:10 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Build your own? I am building up a pseudo city bike. Old steel frame (probably CroMo), 3sp hub, dyno hub, Not sure on the rims yet, but they will handle at least a 35 width tire,fenders, racks, Nitto North road bars, pedals? probably the clip/platform style, best of both worlds. My rides are pretty flat so the 3sp is plenty good. Most of the parts are scavenged. I usually build my own wheels if I have the time. The rear hub and dyno hub are NOS Sturmey Archer that I picked up on auction years ago. I also haunt the thrift shops in search of unusual bikes. Typically under $50. I have probably 15 different wheels hanging in the shed. Including a 2 sp coaster brake and some nice 20" bmx mags for a future trailer. I realize this isn't for everybody.
I commuted on an English built 3sp for about 3 years, then my brother rode it at college for another 3 years and commuted on it for another 4 years. All this with minimal maintenance. Still have the bike and with a new set of tires it would be rideable. Needs a major overhaul, but is still in great shape for its age and the amount of abuse it has taken. I like everything about the Breezers but the aluminum frame but that is a personal choice. My biggest problem is finding a comfortable frame to ride. I am 6'-2" and typically ride a 60/62cm frame. Not easy to find in an old English 3sp hence the decision to build my own.

Aaron