Old 07-09-06, 07:54 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws
The only thing I can figure is that when I was preparing the bike before the ride, I installed the wheel and forgot to tighten the quick release. This is the first and only time that I have forgotten this VERY IMPORTANT stage of readying the bike.
I might owe my life to the "lawyer bumps " (and the Good Lord) for holding the front wheel on while going over the cattle guards at speed.
In the past, I have done my share of complaining about the inconvience but, nevermore. Besides, it only takes seconds more to unscrew the axle nut enough to clear the bumps.
Score one for the bumps!
But if you had filed off the lawyer tabs, you wouldn't have to tighten down the QR because you wouldn't have had to loosen them in the first place to clear the tabs! The tabs force you to add one extra step (tightening the QR), and forgetting this step could lead to a loose front wheel.

Man, don't get me started on those &^(&%^^$ tabs! None of my forks have 'em. The first thang I do when I bring home a new bike frame or fork is to file off those stupid tabs. Then all the front wheel QR's are adjusted for the front dropout and things go very smoothly. If I puncture a front in a criterium, I'm not wasting time adjusting my front QR when I come in for a wheel change.

I really hate those tabs. It's like a committee of non-cyclists said, "we know what's best for you" and made up a ridiculous requirement to fix something that didn't need fixing. Lawyer tabs are symptomatic of a society bent on litigation that substitutes regulation of equipment for personal responsibility! Grrrr....

- L.