mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Hey All,
I am currently building up an old Merlin MTN bike, Everything about this project is unconventional because either how I am setting it up, (seven speed w/ ridgid threadless fork) or because this frame is so damn outdated (we are talking early 90,s here.. ancient history, perhaps you remember the Clinton admistration? Or when 'Dirt Rag' was simply B&W?)
So, I am looking for a BB with a shell thread of 68 and a tapered spindle leangth of 135 or so. The cranks will be single chainring upfront and seven speed rear freewheel. The cranks have to clear the 112mm of chainstay width, these chainstays are bulky hence the long spindle. All the spindles I have laying about are too narrow.
So Who still makes it? Shimano? and where can I buy it? some of you brainiacs were very helpfull in my search for a threadless 1" head set, so Thanks to that!
Will post photo's when this project is done. It is gonna be "special"
Thanks to all comments,
Jt
ummm....i don't think this will really help you out, but i thought i'd throw it out there for your general knowledge and others. i realized this too late. i needed a wide ISIS spindle for my build due to wide chainstays as well. i had wanted to use external cupped bearings, but no dice due to the width.

i forgot about Echo products (for trials). they make some sweet BB in wide sizes...external to boot! i do not see why they wouldn't (oops, double neg.) work for most forms of riding, trials riding is pretty harsh on BB's so i figured why not. i would have bought one of these but i ordered a fsa that will suffice.
http://www.echobike.com/index1.htm

Last edited by mx_599; 07-10-06 at 02:23 PM.