Old 07-10-06, 05:20 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Some clarification, ride was supposed to be only 60 miles, but a wrong turn resultrd in 75. I drank 4 large bottles, but apparently it wasn't enough. Problem was last five miles include no stores and by then I was already dehydrated.

Now I can't get hydrated. I have only had water all day and it just isn't working. Now I am not sure it's the gel. Doctor says I definately look dehydrated and he thinks I am surrering from heat stroke.
Did your doctor suggest an IV to get some fluid into your system? Heatstroke is a serious illness and not something to be taken lightly. If you find yourself in this sutuation again, don't be afraid to knock on someone's door or just use someone's outside faucet if nobody's at home. Heatstroke will kill you.

You might also consider using a hydration pack so you have more water in reserve. For long unsupported rides, a couple bottles just might not be enough for summer riding.

I ride a lot in Texas summer heat and regularly do century+ rides. I ride with a hydration pack because it's often 20-30 miles between stops. The hydration pack, in addition to storing more than a couple bottles, will keep water cold longer - an added bonus.