View Single Post
Old 07-18-03, 02:24 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by don d.
Stephen Roche is one of the genuine good guys in the history of this sport. He is also one of the classiest bike riders to ever spin the pedals. Anyone who wants to learn how to ride a bike well could do no better than to watch Stephen Roche and emulate his form and style. He was grace in motion. Always took time for the media, and was never a prima donna. This man suffered for his job, and rode the last 6 years of his career with serious back problems. He knows about pain.

Having said all that, I disagree with his views and feel it it is unfortunate he decided to make them public. I'm sure that Hamilton has carefully considered the impact of his injury, more carefully than Roche is able to. Personally, if he can do it, it's his decision. Reinjuring it in another accident is not going to be life threatening. This isn't a heart murmur or concussion.

I think Hamilton's choice reflect's positively on the sport in a time when so much negativism exists.
I'm with you don. Roche is one of the sports true gentlemen and I can remember seeing him win his tour (in the same year he won the Giro and the Worlds) so I think he has the right to speak. He is also someone who made time for the press and fans, this fan still remembers a few words with him in 1987.

And you are right about his style. Paul Kimmage in "A rough ride" mentioned how the bike appeared to be an extension of Stephen's hips.

I disagree that Hamilton should pull out, however. I can see the point Roche is making, one on the possibility of Hamilton shortening his career if he crashes and has a further injury, and less so re the suggestion that he can only go on by taking painkillers and that fuelling press speculation.

Roche is entitled to his opinion, particularly as a previous winner and because for the latter part of his career he struggled on while suffering back and knee problems. he was asked to comment so why shouldn't he, just as we comment here. his is a public forum is it not?

As for those who suggest he was on drugs, look to the history books. He was at the top of the game in the late 80's and was consequently tested all the time. I can't recall any suggestion of it and indeed he struggled on with knee pain rather than take painkillers for fear of using something banned.

As to his bravery, if you look at the credits of the Tour intro's on TV (at least over here) you can see a shot of him blacked out having climbed one of the mountain stages in searing heat. Wuss my *rse!

Re the 15 minutes of fame comment. Very few people have had the big three in one year, I think that buys him some time.

Yes I'm a Roche fan.

I've been watching the Tour since the early 80's on TV and have been lucky enough to see the final stage in Paris twice. I've also spoken to a few of the participants and I have to say Roche shines brighter than most because of his gentlemanly attitude, respect for the history and tradition of the sport, his style when riding and his open approach to his fans.

My own view is Allez Tyler! I hope he makes the podium (and stays with the rubber on the road)

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1