View Single Post
Old 07-11-06, 03:59 PM
MajBob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with seat selection . . .

I am new here - just joined the forum today because I need some advice.

3 years ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident. Everything from my waist down was crushed. Today I am semi-mobile and in desperate need of exercise and am considering bicycling. The problem is that, as the result of an open-book fracture of the pelvis, where the bottom of the pelvis poked a sizeable hole in my crotch, it is all held together today with a plate that causes escruciating pain if I place any weight on it. I am looking for a seat that would bear weight on the sit bones rather than the crotch.

Twenty years ago while stationed in Germany, I used to race with a local German club, and I recall seeing a suspension type of seat. Not sure then why the German cyclist was using it, but now I think I know! It had no seat horn - rather it had a metal frame with straps attached to either side which seemed to bear the cyclist's weight. Has anyone here ever seen such a seat? Can you suggest where I might find one - or an alternative?

Thanks in advance - I sincerely appreciate any help you can provide. I am really hankerin' to get back in the ______________ (??)

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland