View Single Post
Old 07-18-03, 06:22 PM
tnorman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Stohler
By "slipping off", do you mean that the chain was skipping? Or, do you mean that it was "derailing"?

Skipping. When pedaling hard (e.g. accelerating from a stop or climbing a hill), it would skip over several teeth. Sometimes it would skip so badly that it would derail, but the derailleur's correctly adjusted, so that wasn't the problem.

FWIW, if your chain was elongated by 1" (I'm assuming that this was on the overall length, not over the 1' length usually measured), then most likely, every single cog and ring is toast.
Yeah, about 1" over the whole length. I checked all the cogs pretty well, and they seemed surprisingly unworn. The chainring I replaced was pretty messed up, and the other front rings are a little worn but they're still working just fine. I'll keep 'em clean and try to get as much life as I can from them.

Also, please don't use simple green to clean your chain. If you need to learn more, go here.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll get some citrus degreaser for the future.

Now that I know the consequences of chain wear, I'll be keeping a closer eye on my drivetrain!

Tim