Old 07-14-06, 04:38 PM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going on my first tour (Now with pictures :-))

Hi! In two or three days, depending on the weather, I'm setting out on my first longer trip. I am riding from my hometown Nykarleby to Turku (map, big), then around the Turku archipelago, and back home. This will be about 1000km in total, more with detours so I've planned for 1200km.

I've been shopping for supplies all week, and I'm somewhat confident in my camping abilities. Tried cooking on my new trangia in the garden, and i have pitched a few tents in my days so that shouldn't prove too hard. I'll be taking photos en route, and will upload them to my gallery and perhaps link a few here afterwards.

The whole set of luggage should be around 15kg, maybe a bit heavy but i like to be prepared, i carry a spare brake cable, tube, tire(used), brake pads and tools for most bolts and nuts on my bike. Also food for one day, some emergency rations and fishing equipment. Camping equip. is a tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mat and a trangia, and the necessary fuel and bowls and stuff.

I have 2 waterproof panniers up front and a big pac on the rear rack that isn't waterproof but will carry thins that can handle some moisture, and clothes packed in plastic bags inside.

Clothing is 2 pairs of padded cycling shorts, 3 t-shirts, a sweatshirt, long pants, 4x socks and 2 undies. I will be visiting my brother in Turku and have acces to a washing-machine there so it should be enough.

The archipelago-route is about 150km, with ferries between islands and my brother will join me, we have rented a room along the route.

Well, I hope I haven't forgotten any crucial equipment and I will update this at the latest when I return, but probably while in Turku too. Wish me luck :-)

Last edited by Black Shuck; 07-28-06 at 04:54 PM.