BurlySurly
Pedalphile

Bikes: better ones than yours

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got OWNED this weekend!!!

So i decided to spend a day at the Local BMX track here on Oahu, just to get a feel for what its like to race MtnX. My friend who rides a rocky Mtn. Flow and myself on a Kona Roast were supposed to meet some other riders at the track because the management told us that if we showed up with three or more riders, we'd get our own class. Well, wouldnt ya know it...the other guys never showed..so it was just the two of us. They had no choice but to lump us in with the Cruiser class.
Now, i dont know how it works everywhere else, but apparently here, there is no progression in talent classes (ie, beginner, novice, expert) there are only age categories...so i had to race a bunch of 21-25 year old cruisers on my MTB.
Man...i never even had a gate start before...so i was taking full advantage of the practice time given...and managed to get a good feel for the track before my first moto. When the gate dropped in my first heat...i just hammered as hard as i could, not being smooth at all and trying to keep up. After a while, i realized that i wasnt getting too thoroughly destroyed....but i was nowhere near the leader. By the time i finished though, only a 45 second track...i was the most tired ive ever been. Bare in mind, Ive race 5 min. DH courses...and this completely wrecked me worse than any other physical activity ive partaken. XC racing does not come close to 45 seconds of BMX havoc.
Second moto...more of the same...only i got a bit smoother and managed to keep with the pack alot better. I nearly vomited at the finish though.
At the third moto...id had a bit of a rest, and was ready to go. When the gate dropped, i hit it with everything i had and was actually out front for a second...but i got passed right away. I managed to carry enough speed into one of the turns before a jump and launched this double that only a few of the best guys were doing. Well, i came up a bit short and hit my back wheel on the landing...which forced me to slam into my seat...which broke off and sent my ballsack into my rear tire. Yeah...it sucked but i finished the moto.

Lesson learned....BMX racing is the hardest form of biking out there...no contest. I am going to keep racing, so that when i move back to the mainland in 10 months..i will smoke everyone at MtnX. I urge everyone to give this a shot.