Old 07-16-06, 05:19 PM
h2o_polo_boi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
The Sirrus seems to have more favourable gears for climbing, with 28/26 teeth front/rear compared to 30/25 for the Allez triple, but neither of them is going to be geared like a mountain bike. So you may discover that the Mongoose was not the problem!

Panniers are far easier to transport books in than a backpack, or at least get a rack you can strap your backpack onto. You can also get folding wire baskets on the side of your rear rack that open out and let you drop the back pack in.

Fenders are worthwhile too, since you don't know what the weather will be like when you head home.

I'd like to thank you all for the advice! I am surprised that this forum is so helpful. I only expected 3-4 replies at most

Anyway, my mountain bike is geared at 24/28T for climbing. But after I've tried climbing the hill once, I HATE that ratio. It seems I go more backwards than forwards hammering up the hill. Feels like I'm pedaling forever and only going an inch a min I think I'm going to go with the Sirrus (have to sacrifice some speed on a flat for some comfort). A thousand dollar bike will probably be stolen on the first day at my ghetto school. Guess I won't be needing any of my books to class either since I just got a laptop. Racks are not an option because those would probably be stolen if not my bike. Poor college students are desperate to sell anything!

Maybe if I wanted to go dropped I can also mod the sirrus since I will be working at a bike shop soon and all orders I place will be wholesale price. But once again, I appreciate all your help!