View Single Post
Old 07-17-06, 02:34 PM
donrhummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help! My fueling just isn't working...

I've read a lot of stuff posted on here and elsewhere and have tried to follow the suggestions, but it doesn't seem to be working. All the rides that I have trouble on are 100+ mile rides (and usually in the 7-8 hour range).

My fueling is as follows:

* 20 oz of water mixed with Ultra-Fuel (a carb+fructose mix, it's a 3 carb grams to 1 sugar gram) every 60-80 minutes.
* An Odwalla bar every 45-60 minutes for the first 1-3 hours (and then none after that)
* Every other bottle of liquid has an electrolyte powder added

Despite the above, I always have HUGE drop-offs in my rides. Usually, it's after hour 5 or so, but with the extreme heat the other day (95 F, muggy), I started having problems in hour 4. The last ride was super hot and I started having problems at mile 50 just after the 3 hour mark. I ended up going through all my liquids and having to buy an additional 90 oz of Gatorade to make it through (the gatorade really helps give me energy, but it lasted only about 10-5 miles or so each time).

I don't understand. I'm fueling primarily with liquid fuel, and it includes electrolytes. It's a mix of carbs/simple sugars. I've also got plenty of water in there. How do I fix this?

Also, could it partially be that I use sunblock - i.e. this messes up my cooling/sweating? I refuse to not use sunblock (as I prefer bonks to skin cancer), but maybe I can do something diff?

EDIT: Changed liters to the proper ounces.

Last edited by donrhummy; 07-17-06 at 10:07 PM.