View Single Post
Old 07-19-06, 09:32 PM
Chone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Countersteering...

I just had to bring this topic up again, recently I've been experimenting with countersteering and wondering how people describe it as "steering left to turn right and viceversa" and I've realized "countersteering" is real but is nothing more than a technique to throw the bike's weight opposite of the turn which in turn throws YOUR body weight towards the turn which consequently makes you drag the bike with you and consequently it causes.... A LEAN, a lean which makes the bike turn in the desired position, from my personal experience with countersteering and regular steering of my bike that is the definition I have come up for countersteering. Seriously, it makes sense and I've found out its the only way to ride tight berms and cut corners at high speeds, look at some pictures of riders going through berms or close to 180 degrees turns, you'll notice they have their inside arm stretched out and their outside arm flexed like they were steering to the opposite side of the curb but regardless their wheel is still facing towards the turn, this is because they are pushing the bike's weight farther away from the curb so they can lean more and they can prevent the wheel from turning too much and washing out...

I'm no expert so correct me please if you can and you know but seriously that works for me, just try it, seriously, try steering right and leaning left and keep steering right to keep the wheel straight and facing towards the curve... your bike will curve insanely towards the left, its awesome for riding berms and probably the only effective way.

It has been one of the most effective riding techniques I've discovered ever!