Old 07-23-06, 09:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If I had to pick between those two exact choices, I'd go with choice #2. But fortunately, in my world, I don't have to pick between those two exact choices.

Personally, my choice would be to mix it up a bit to include:

-- a day off
-- a short, easy, recovery ride
-- a day of intervals or hill climbing (something high intensity)
-- a day where I ride mid-length distance (30-40 miles) at a reasonably brisk pace
-- a day where I ride a long(ish) distance (100 kms+)
-- and a couple other days where I might repeat a couple of the above mentioned ride types.

I rarely do more than two centuries a month (unless it happens that I have a series of brevets on subsequent weekends ... which usually happens in May up here in Canada). I usually aim to ride something around 100 kms (60 miles) on one weekend ... and then the next weekend might be a bit more endurance-oriented where I might do a century, a brevet, back-to-back centuries, a double century or something like that. Then, depending on how I feel, I might do a 100 km ride on the next weekend or next two weekends ..... and then another have endurance weekend.

I personally find riding a century or longer every single weekend to be too tiring, and it diminishes my enthusiasm for cycling. I'll do that for May to get my brevets in, but after that, I ease off a bit.