View Single Post
Old 07-23-06, 11:53 PM
dauphin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One tough wife!

Today my wife and I decided to try and do 50 miles in the oppressive Sacramento heat. We started in Folsom and rode down to the Old Sacramento area. Temps were around 109 today, so we were drinking lots of water. Just as we roll up off the bike trail into Old Sacramento, my wife's tire slips on a railroad crossing and down she goes...ripping off most of the skin on her knee and knocking her handlebars out of whack!. With the help of a gentleman who was there, I was able to straighten up the handlebars so she could make the 30 mile ride back. About mid way on the trip back, my wife started to really feel the heat and had to pull over a few times and actually even had to throw up once. Needless to say, she had to travel at a much slower speed on the way back. When we reached the Nimbus Damn, which is six miles from where we started in Folsom, she decided to let me ride on and bring the car back to load up her bike. Off like a madman I pedaled, averaging about 20 mph for the remaining six miles of the trail. As I pull up to where we parked the car, I suddenly realized that my wife had the car keys! I call her on the cell and she says she feels better and will meet me half way. Off we both go and we meet up about three miles in/out. The rest did her good and we both made it back to car in good shape. At that point, I looked at the computer and realized that I had done 66.25 miles and my wife had done 60.45 miles. Oh, and I forgot to mention the rabbits, quail, and coyote we passed along the way! We decided to reward ourselves with a couple of Fat Tires at the local restaurant on the river. My wife is feeling much better and never once complained about her knee.