Old 07-25-06, 11:46 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by knoregs
the best way to get to the backside of mt mansfield is over smugglers notch... nice ride... rt 15 east to Jeffersonville... then hang a right on rt 108... the notch is over 2000'... and then fun descent into Stowe... for a really challenging ride turn around in Stowe and go back over the notch...

from where you are Jeffersonville is probably 35 miles, depending on route... the notch is about 8-9 from there... Stowe is about 17 from Jeff via notch... bring the camera

then once ya conquer smuggs... there are some real challenges a little south... rt 17 between Bristol and Waitsville there's this little speed bump called Appalachian Gap... it goes up about 2400'... had me practically crying when the grades bounced up over 20%... only on the switchbacks did I notice the 20% grades but it's damn steep
I've gone out 15. Seems I missed the turn to 108. I just kept riding and riding.
I've driven over the notch several times - mainly with friends and family in town for sight seeing.

App Gap is fun. Been up there for the GMSR (course marshall, not racer), and to ski at MRG.