Old 07-26-06, 10:14 PM
jock
Sarcopenia: Living Decay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badsac
See, this is what I don't understand. Isn't that vigourous warmup just burning energy that would be best spent in the race? And as for the heart rate thing, my legs seem to work just as well as if they're coldish or up to working temperature. Obviously I've done no scientific studies but still... So what's the go?

BTW, what's with people being able to stay up near max heart rate for 15 or more minutes? On a bike I'd be lucky to get a minute out of myself. High HR's running is relatively easy (still can't hold them for long), but on the bike is impossible short of hillclimbing. Anyone know why this could be? No ticker perhaps?
It takes time for your body to 'turn on' the correct energy systems for work. So, doing a warmup of reasonable length and suitable intensity will 'kick start' the correct energy system for the task ahead minimising the risk of burning out early. Sure you're going to burn a little fuel, but it's easy enough to replace that small amount. If you've trained properly for 6 months or so then refuelling after a one hour warm up is trivial.

As for holding a high heart rate, that comes back to training too. As you progressively build up the intensity and distance of your efforts your body adapts. But you have to go through the pain over and over again, for longer periods to get the benefit. That takes mental toughness. If you don't have it, then you don't have it. You could try training for hills with a drill sergeant (as in "take the pain, soldier"), that's always fun

[edit] You could also stop watching your friggin HRM when you're near maxHR. It's only going to scare you off pushing hard. Your heart is generally only going to curl up into a little ball and die if it gets starved of oxygen or the firing signals get all screwed up. So if you are able to breathe and pedal at the same time, and you don't have 37kg of cholesterol build up in your arteries and veins, then it is unlikely that your biggest fears will be realised as you get near what you think is your maxHR. If in doubt, ride with a paramedic.

Last edited by jock; 07-26-06 at 10:22 PM.