View Single Post
Old 07-28-06, 09:23 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a one-day-per-week cager. I have an off-site meeting 9 miles away every Friday, so I use that day to drive and bring in a locker full of clean clothes for the next week.
I've run into few problems with cars while riding. Mostly because I'm on a bike trail for 6 out of 7 miles, but the last mile I have goes through a really busy intersection with a freeway on/off ramp and many 18-wheelers and commercial trucks etc. There's only been one time that someone was wheel-hugging me because I was taking up the entire right lane coming up to an intersection. (He wanted to make a right turn, and didn't have enough time to go around me in the left lane. At least he didn't try it and cut me off, but he could have given me some breathing room coming down the hill.)
I've encountered more problems with other cyclists while riding, and one very close call with one while driving. Lots of people don't look when they merge onto the bike trail when coming in from one of the many entrances. I've been cut-off more times than I can count in that situation. I had a couple of kids jet across the street in front of me against the light while I was at full speed coming through a green light at the bottom of the only hill on my route. Last Friday when I was driving in, a cyclist almost broadsided me as I was turning into a parking lot. I had a left-turn arrow (meaning the traffic coming the opposite direction had a red light.) When I made the left onto the cross street, I had to make an immediate right into the parking lot. Halfway through the intersection I flipped my signal from the left turn I was in, to the right turn I was going to make. Some dude blew through and made a right on red just after I made my left, and swung up into the parking lot to avoid running into me as I was halfway into the lot. I saw the guy riding up to the light, don't get me wrong and think that I totally didn't see him. I just made an incorrect assumption that he was going to actually stop at the red light, considering that there was a large line of cars making a left in front of him. Luckily, there was little more than some rattled nerves over the entire situation.
Following the laws goes both ways. Don't drive like an a$$hat when you have to be in your car, and don't ride like an a$$hat when you're on your bike. We're more likely to get some slack from drivers if we act like the traffic laws apply to us, too (since they do.)