View Single Post
Old 07-31-06, 08:31 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Sorrell
The wife thinks I'm nuts for wanting another bike already (and for how much I talk about the stuff I learn on BF).

I remember being there!

OK, here's the issues.

Shifters and brakes: Your flat bar is 22.2mm, and the components are made to fit that. A drop bar is 23.8mm.

Clamp: You've already addressed the 26.0 v the 25.4 clamp on a flat bar. HOWEVER, it is possible to find drops with a 25.4 clamp...they are usually at least 5 years old, so possibly used...but they can be done.

Brakes: The short pull/long pull thing has been addressed. I used Dia-Compe 287-V with V brakes at one time, before switching to cantilevers and brifters. I wasn't as pleased with the 287-V. VERY long reach and travel for my rather small hands. So, if you want to use the brake bosses that are on your fork and seat stays, you will need to get brake cable hangers ($2.00 per!), and some Avid Shorty 4 cantis. (opinion there on the make.)

The rear derailleur will present no problems. The front derailleur SHOULDN'T present any problems, but there may be cable pull geometry issues with brifters.

If your bike is an ATB, I would absolutely recommend getting a new bike, and saving this one for short casual trips. You'll still love it, it just won't be the bike for distance or commutes. If the bike is one of those "Flat Bar" road bikes (Which mine used to be!), the conversion can be made effectively and well, but realize the prohibitive cost issues involved.