Old 08-01-06, 07:06 AM
SeamusD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wav:

Thanks so much for your timely review. Like you, I'm a great fan of internal hubs, especially for the recreational, errand-running & utility use I plan for my folder (my first). My current utility bike (full size) uses a SRAM 7-speed hub which I've been pretty happy with. I've been trying to decide whether to switch to a folder this year or wait till next spring. My dream folder is a new steel Swift with the new SRAM i-Motion9 hub. But,financially, that is down the road a ways.

The DT VIII-H attracted me right from the start. My only real indicision at the moment rests with the non-adjustable suspension front fork. At 225 pounds (down from 250 when I returned to cycling last year), I'm not confident the current front fork will be good for me. I'd much prefer the simplicity of a rigid front fork and the ability to run Big Apples (with front & rear fenders) instead of having a suspension bike. I could always add a suspension seat-post if I felt it was necessary. Oddly, DT does appear to use a rigid front fork on the new, smaller 16"-wheel internal hub model. Curious why the 20-inch VIII-H was spec'd with the suspension fork. Maybe DT will offer a non-suspension version in future.

I agree about the gearing and I'd prefer a switch to lower gear-inch as well. For the mostly city-area errands and recreational & bike-trail riding I'd be doing with this bike, and because of my knee troubles, I'd gladly compromise some of my top end to get the "less-stressed" hill climbing the lower gears would provide. Interesting that Yan is considering such an alteration on future bikes.

Thanks again Wav. I look forward to seeing your pictures and reading future reports from you and other VIII-H owners.
Regards,
Seamus