Thread: Three wheels
View Single Post
Old 07-30-03, 05:41 PM
Recumbent_Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive only had a few issues with dogs, thankfully most were behind gates. There have been several occasions though when that wasnt the case. One time it was on a flat and I just picked up the pace and rode away. :} Another time, I just got up out of the trike and appeared at my full height, the dog stopped and wandered off. I find little dogs tend to get scared by the trike zooming past them, especially if they didnt hear my coming, heh. For the bigger dogs, they seem to just stop what they're doing and look at me as I pass. Ive always found that it pays to make yourself heard on bikepaths(with dog-walkers). The few times ive come up behind walkers with dogs and they've not heard me, I cruise past slowly, the dog sees me and jumps into the air or moves about unpredicably. Just 'bing' the bell about 10 meters away, the owner looks back, the dog slows and looks around, sees you, and doesnt get spooked. Problem solved.

One of the things I was reading about when I first got into trikes was that horses get spooked by them easily, perhaps because it was a low-to-the-ground fast moving object, like a wolf or something...but in practise horses have never been bothered by me zooming past them. Like the big dogs they just lift their heads and watch me zoom past.

However, ive heard of american folk(im australian) carrying an anti-dog spray. I imagine its a bit like peppar-spray, but not so nasty. Enough to keep the dog at bay. Ive not had any problems with animals so ive not looked further into it, some of the touring guys in my club swear by it though. Perhaps a loud air-horn(an air-zound or similar) would be sufficient for a quick get-away.