Old 08-08-06, 08:45 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Growing the sport of LDX - is RUSA all there is?

I'd like to discuss the "status of long distance cycling" as a distinct sport from Century riding or other racing activities. I'm aware that many people are introduced to longer rides through various bicycle clubs that sponsor a "century" ride each year.

RUSA and PBP draw some interest to long distance cycling as well. And then - there is also a dedicated, but somewhat eccentric "fringe" of ultracyclists that hold up RAAM as the main goal of long distance training.

California seems to be the "center of the double-century world", having a triple crown series as well as numerous club sponsored events. (many events draw thousands of riders for "death rides")

What, I'd like to know, is outside of California, LDX cycling is left with one club that has a "foreign ride" as it's main attraction, and an "ultra" outfit that seems to promote "solo - totally supported" rider efforts.

If you were to talk to a new rider who was interested in longer rides, you might tell him to "get ready for France", or go get a support vehicle and crew, or else move to Californina..........

Tell me why I'm wrong. Tell me about all the other double centurys and other long rides promoted around the world. And tell me how your club is offering opportunities for people who want to ride all day to get together. Tell me why, when 20,000 people are trying to get into marathons all over the nation, the only place you can get 200 people for a double century is in California. Please explain it.