View Single Post
Old 08-08-06, 02:05 PM
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
yeah, everyone on CSC is clean. julich was a washed-up has-been about to retire before he went to CSC. but simply being in the presence of such a great group of guys rejuvenated him and helped him start winning again.

right?
Again, we can see that one's position on doping in the peloton has much more to do with personal cynicism and resignation than anything else. I don't mean that as a personal attack either. In this world none of us are free from it.

Just as Julich's article points out, anybody that has any success the first thing you think: doper. And he is no different - all his results are under suspiscion and with good reason.

I know Bobby Julich is about as well liked and popular as George Bush, but I still admire him for making the most of what was left of his career. He could have, like Kevin Livingstone or Jonathan Vaughters, just quit.

And I've seen him totally make the race at the CSC Invitational in Arlington, do a great attacking ride, the kind everybody loves to see. He initiated a break of four with two sprinters and Ivan Stevic. (the rest of his team was out of contention) After his multiple attack-the-break tries failed, he sat up and let Stevic take third. It was a nice gesture and he was the crowd favorite by a long, long way. You could just feel the love.