Old 08-09-06, 08:16 AM
wb 86
beam and bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Are you sure about the availability of chainrings? This is a MTB, not a roadie - for road bikes, I know you can find plenty of 5 bolt chainrings, but not so for MTB. I have been looking around, and a new crankset with chainrings seems to not cost too much - as long as I am happy with a Deore set. Which I am.

I do have, by chance, an SRAM PC 48, ordered it 2 weeks ago, and it was in the mail yesterday. I also have a Suntour megarange 7sp cassette that I will install. the bike is indexed shifting.

Really, what is a 94 bcd, and a 100 bcd?
Yes, chainrings for a 5-bolt pattern, both sizes, are easy to come by. All my old school MTBs have a 110 BCD crankset on them. My 93 Giant just got a new outer ring for its Altus A10 crank. I used a Surly ring which isn't ramped or pinned, but still works. Cost=$38. Not to shabby. In the catalog at my LBS ther were plenty of others to choose from. Most mail-order companies have only the latest model parts for sale ie 4-bolt cranksets. A good shop can get older style parts easily from one of their numerous suppliers

Craig