Old 08-09-06, 08:24 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Richard - I don't recall saying I over consumed sodium? As mentioned I have done 2-3hr rides at least weekly for a year and have not had this problem with my usual hydration of 16-24oz of gatoraide/hr. In addition in this particular case I accelerated my hydration by finishing 48oz of gatoraide in about 1.5hrs and stopped for an additional 48oz which I consumed during the final few miles and my wait for a pickup. So I think I went out prepared, but it is likely that I may have been still dehydrated based on my previous days activities even though I did not feel it. Also based on my reading of scientific information on cramping it is more likely that in addition to contribution of dehydration/electrolyte imbalance I stressed my legs by doing the hill intervals the day before. As I have about 5,600 miles in the last 12 months all of them in S. FL I have a pretty good feel for what I need to do to ride 50+ miles distances. Greater than 75mi would be a different story. What I am trying to understand here is what was different that cause the collapse so that it does not happen again.

Cycler - I definetly listen to my body and wear a HR monitor on all rides. In this particualr case when I was having problems my HR was at 85% max while riding behind my partner and doing 15mph. I knew at that point I could not finish the ride as earlier under the same circumstances my HR was about 75% of max riding at 18mph. Between the cramps and the elevated HR I knew I was in trouble and stopped.

2013 Noah RS