gizmocat
MamaWheelie

Bikes: a 1974 Raleigh Twenty and a 2005 Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gonna commute one half of the distance anyway

I work about twelve miles from my house as the car flies. My carpool for the fall term fell through so I came up with a Plan B.
Riding to RIT is incredibly dangerous since you have to cross a busy highway in the last mile. I'm not up to that, but I can easily get down to U of R (the rival firm) on the bicycle, riding along a very pleasant and safe river trail. I'm arranging to meet a taxi daily at the bus stop at University of Rochester's library. That way I can park the bike at one university and take a car to the other one. It's not perfect, but it does ensure that I get about forty minutes' ride time per day. The bicycle is actually faster than the bus. And I have the bus available if the weather is inclement; it stops very near my house. For a wonder the buses all have bicycle carriers on the front, so I can put the bike there and ride the bus home if I'm feeling ill.
I think it makes the best of a bad situation and I don't have to worry about broken down cars or the availability of car poolers. RIT does have a free shuttle to U of R in late afternoon, so I'd only need to pay taxi fare in the morning, or so I hope.