Thread: Italvega ID
View Single Post
Old 08-09-06, 09:53 PM
Skip Magnuson
SkipM

Bikes: Italvega 1971, Italvega 1972 SuperSpeciale, Holdsworth Mistral 1983.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Josh,
I think your Italvega is a 1974 Super Speciale which was the top of the line with all Campy equiped. I have two Italvegas (one I bought new in 1971 (mid-range) and the other a 1972 Super Speciale. I have been collecting serial numbers for Italvegas and now have about 20. The Super Speciale usually had a star at each end of the serial number - so no mystery there. Italvegas were produced in the Torpado Italy factory and were imported from 1970 to about 1977 by Ben Olken who was the distributor and named them. The Columbus decal on the seat tube was in French on all of the Italvegas that I have hear about. Olken may have had a supply of French-Columbus or did it for some other reason. Most Super Speciale had a six digit serial number but yours appears to be an early one. Original colors were metallic green, metallic blue, "root beer" metallic brown, and yellow. I can give you more particulars on my Italvega Super Speciale but from what I can see in the pictures, yours is like mine. What size is the frame?
Skip Magnuson
Spokane, WA