Old 08-11-06, 03:17 PM
mrmw

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JMCraig
It has a triple crank: so-called half-step + granny (for those that are old enough to remember what that is). If I had a slightly higher top end gear, that may be about all I really need. It was irritating getting passed by a guy on a Mtn Bike with fancy gears 'cause I didn't have a high enough gear to keep up with him (I mean, if it had been a roadie, that'd be one thing...).
On my 1982 Schinn Super Sport S/P I just went through this myself after six months of 20 miles a day riding it stock in 15 speed friction.

Stock setup: rear spacing 126 mm, 52/46/34 chain rings, 13/28 five cog rear, Suntour Cyclone M-II derailleurs, clydesdale rider; already had removed the Suntour Superbe downtube shifters and replaced them with NOS Suntour Command 7 speed shifters index/friction but running friction, technomic stem and Nitto noodle 46 cm B-177 bars.

Here's how:
1. Found a Suntour 7 speed freehub 36 hole rim / greaseguard wheel with new Suntour 7 speed cassette all NOS cheeep on Ebay-$35 delivered! 130 mm. Was ready to spread the frame, but when it was suggested that cassettes only last 2k, and they are hard to find, wound up swapping that honey of a wheel at a modest profit to the LBS for the work below.
2. Next I tried a seven speed Shimano HG freewheel and a new chain. Let my LBS do it, as I wanted their experience and wisdom. Chain wouldn't fit between small cog and dropout. I didn't want to spread the frame because I wanted to be able to put the bike back to stock when I'm done with it. even though the LBS has a frame table and was ready to do it.
3. Found a Shimano 105 126 mm 7 speed 36 hole freehub almost new at the Greensboro bike swap. Tried to get a Sun CR-18 36 hole rim, but they weren't in distribution for the LBS. Finally gave up, let the LBS order a Mavic A719 36 hole rim, they got pretty near to the best online price plus shipping.

New setup new rear wheel, new 7 speed 14/32 Shimano HG-70 cassette, new large and granny chainrings now 50/46/32 and two sets of chainring bolts, new chain, new Deore LX M570 rear derailleur closeout of last year's model, new compressionless cable rear derailleur loop. Total cost just under $300, including a very modest LBS charge to throw it all together. It indexes perfectly. I'm ecstatic. Normally I would have wrenched it myself, but its over 100F in my garage here in the PM in ATL. I was very happy to let them do it in a space of 45 minutes.

Afterward: In your case, as a stronger rider you would elect a different gear setup. It was totally worth it for me. I didn't lose use of the bike for a single day, and I have a beautiful Champion #2 frame, clydesdale compatible touring wheels, 21 speed index whole step/half step plus 1:1 granny drivetrain with shifters on the bars, Technomic stem and Nitto Noodle bars (now $35 at Nashbar!!! a frikkin steal!!!) all in for less than $650.

A new Rivendell bike would run, well, we all know how much, don't we? Who cares? This frame fits me to a tee. It was totally worth it.

Upon reflection, I think the frame fit/feel issue is the metric you need to use here in order to decide when measured against the cost.

Good luck.

PS: Shameless NOT self promotion: I can't say enough good things about Bicycle South here in the Atlanta area in Decatur. Very sympathetic to VLW's. I went into, and quickly out of, about a dozen shops here until I found them. They have a website, http://www.bicyclesouth.com/