Thread: Some days...
View Single Post
Old 08-11-06, 05:19 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
I just need to work on hills. Dammed hills are still my weak point. I'm for sure not the last up the hills, but the best riders in the group can drop me on a long climb. I keep telling myself that, at 6'4" 195lbs, I may never be as strong on hills as my 140-160lb cohorts, but isn't it more about power to weight ratio than just weight alone?

Oh, do I know of what you speak........I've dropped 50+ lbs (220 to 167). I've dropped weight on the bike (22lbs to 16 lbs). I've changed cranks to a compact crank. I've ridden a number more miles (approx 16,000). And I still get challenged on the darn hills.

Some of what I'm now learning that for me I need a better "strategy" and to ride a lot smarter. If I'll stay patient and ride someone's wheels on a climb I can generally keep up with most--but not all. If I don't dig into the red zone too soon before a climb I can certainly do much, much better.

I still tend to jump at the bottom of a climb and go as hard as I can rather than riding a little smarter. I'll never be first at the top-at least with my group-but I will climb faster and be closer to the top riders.

If you get it figured out please let me know. I'm still searching for the answers on that one!!!

It sounds like you're really coming on though. Keep up the great riding!!