View Single Post
Old 08-11-06, 06:35 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My 2 ¢ worth on this: First, I am open to the possibility that Landis may have cheated. Heck, maybe it was even one of these "take this stuff, it'll never show up on the test" bits. If he did in fact cheat, well, that's a disgrace, and he'll wear it for a long time.

But, I'm not totally convinced. There is an enormous amount of money involved in pro level bike racing. There are also lots of huge egos involved. Lots of money, mixed with lots of huge egos can make some people do rather nasty things to each other. Add in a little dash of "The Europeans can't stand another American winning a race they consider to be their own", and you've got quite a hot mix.

This French lab says their test are fool proof. Would it have been possible for someone to sabotage the tests, say by sneaking into the lab after hours, and corrupting the test results somehow? I mean, just how tight and controlled is security? Could someone with access to the racers food or beverages have done something? perhaps a nice bribe to a member of a kitchen staff, or wait staff maybe. Lots of things to consider here. I've been working in the technology sector for thirty years, and I know that when someone says something is foolproof, it isn't.

As one of my shop stewards says, "something smells bad".

Well, that's my 2 ¢.

You know, we now have at least two generations who don't know what this " ¢ " is.