Old 08-11-06, 08:51 PM
cstarrett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
This is a decent range but if you want lower you will have to go to a smaller front gear. I'd say change the rear and see if you can live with. If not then you are better just changing the front to something like a 37T or 39T. [...] Keep in mind you will likely lose your chainguard.
First off, I want to say thanks for the great review! It's been a huge help to me as I look to get my first folder. I live in a very hilly area (the Seattle area) so I'm a little concerned about the gearing. Being an impatient person, I don't really want to wait until Yan incorporates lower gearing -- I'd rather go ahead and buy the bike now and then make whatever modifications necessary. My only concern is what you said about the chainguard.

I know nothing about how bikes are put together so I'm curious why the chainguard would have to go when changing the front chainring. If I understand correctly, the current front chainring is 48T. If I only took it down just a couple of teeth (rather than all the way down to 39T) would it be less likely that the chainguard would have to go?

Thanks! (And I understand if this is an unanswerable question. Like I said, I'm stumbling in the dark here...)

~~Charles