cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Opinions please: bike for larger flyer.

I work out of town for a couple of days about once a month, and would like to take a bike on the plane sometimes.
Here are my folder issues:

Geometry. what is it with that forward jutting Brompton seat? I'd like to sit a little farther back like on my tour bike. Can you "flip the clamp" on Brompton to move the seat back? Does that interfere with folding? Is the seat tube or post strong enough?

Seat height. I'm not huge (33" inseam) but some cheaper folders I've checked out in stores don't seem to have a long enough post.

Weight. I'm 220 lb/100 kg, so for example, I'm at the limit for a Bike Friday Pocket Pilot, and would have to go to a Pocket Rocket. A bunch of other manufacturers also specify a maximum weight in this range. Which bikes can carry a heavier rider like myself, plus maybe 10-20 lbs of gear?

Flying. It has to fit in the 30" suitcase, and I hope it won't take 1/2 hour to do it. Do I really want to remove the rear derailleur every time as described by Xootr?

Test riding. Bike Friday and Swift (original, not Xootr) are made to order so they'll fit, but how do you know you'll like the ride?

Cost. I was hoping to spend under $1000 but that seems unlikely.

Any opinions on which way I should go?