View Single Post
Old 08-14-06, 12:12 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the Road I course in June. Although I would still recommend it to anyone, I found that I had already picked up most of the content from this forum and I was already doing it. But it's always good to make sure there are no glaring gaps in your knowledge and behavior, and get qualified feedback.

For instance, I found out that I could still use more practice looking back (that old mirror reliance thing), and also with emergency stops. I cockily volunteered to demonstrate stopping distance with each brake alone, then both together, which I had already practiced in another earlier course. For the front by itself, I remembered to shift my weight back to keep from going over, but with both, I forgot and my back wheel lifted about a foot before I recovered and came back down normally on it! That tells me its not instinctive yet!

Our state bicycle coalition arranges for these courses here, but they also have perennial problems filling enough slots. The LCI was a bit miffed about the fact that they don't require payment up front, and they agreed that they ought to start doing that. We had about a dozen signed up, but it looked like rain and we ended up with 4, and two of those were after a coalition person called and ragged them about it.