rogun

Bikes: 1997 Raleigh M50 and 1987 Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie hub question

Hi guys,

My first post here and I'm new to servicing bicycles; just so you have a little background on me. This seems like a great site and I've already learned a lot from just reading, but I do have a couple of, hopefully, simple questions that I couldn't find an answer to.

I was given a 1987 Schwinn World Sport that works, but it's been sitting in a garage for awhile and probably needs a lot of servicing. I hope to use this bike for commuting around town, as well as to learn how to work on bikes, since I'm not too worried about messing anything up here. Right now I'm trying to service the front wheel -- the front hub in particular -- by rebuilding the hub. The thing is, I don't what size bearings I'm supposed to use to replace the ones currently inside the hub? Sheldon Brown's old article on overhauling hubs says that "Most front hubs take 10 three-sixteenth- inch balls per side. Almost all rear hubs take nine 1/4 inch balls per side." Is this most likely the size I should use? The hub shell has Joytech G87 written on it, if that helps any.