Old 08-18-06, 11:30 AM
duhhuh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_TN
Bingo, you got it. I had the exact same thing. Here's a pic of the outer race (which got stuck in the headtube) of a sealed cartridge bearing [integrated headset]. As you can see, the bearings did actually wear "divots" into the outer race. About 9,000mi on this headset, FWIW. Not sure how much it might cost to have replaced, since I did the work myself. Good luck!
Just for fun, I thought I would tell you guys a technique that has been used for a long time to remove outer races, such as this one, that are a press fit in a machined receiver. This is used frequently and usually associated with industrial applications. If you weld a bead around the bearing race on the inner race surface and allow it to cool, it will shrink the race to the point it will fall out of the fit. Not particularly applicable to most bike owners, but I have access to a heli-arc rig and it makes it easy on a stubborn one. Freezing the new race with dry-ice or liquid nitrogen will generally allow it to drop into an interference fit also. Again, not particularly usable in most home garages, but there are probably several of you fellows out there that have access to some of this stuff where you work. Again, just my incoherent thoughts on the matter.