Old 08-19-06, 07:06 PM
Andy_TN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, pretty neat. In my case (the picture), it's an integrated headset so the bearings weren't even pressed in -- at least, they weren't supposed to be pressed in. Over time, and as the bearings wore dimples in the race, the outer race just got pounded up in the headtube. The thin layer of overspray on the inside of the tube didn't help either. We did finally get it out, and there was no damage at all to the headtube.

Originally Posted by duhhuh
Just for fun, I thought I would tell you guys a technique that has been used for a long time to remove outer races, such as this one, that are a press fit in a machined receiver. This is used frequently and usually associated with industrial applications. If you weld a bead around the bearing race on the inner race surface and allow it to cool, it will shrink the race to the point it will fall out of the fit. Not particularly applicable to most bike owners, but I have access to a heli-arc rig and it makes it easy on a stubborn one. Freezing the new race with dry-ice or liquid nitrogen will generally allow it to drop into an interference fit also. Again, not particularly usable in most home garages, but there are probably several of you fellows out there that have access to some of this stuff where you work. Again, just my incoherent thoughts on the matter.