Old 08-07-03, 10:10 PM
Merriwether
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by EBasil
Well, I think the HID lights should be illegal on bikes, too! They are too bright. It's just not natural.

I hate the way they blind me when some schmuck turns and "looks my way" with one on his helmet, I hate the way they cause leafs to curl and brown from 50 feet and I hate the way large airplanes swerve to "avoid" bikes riding up hills on trails when their HID is punching a searing hole 2000 feet out into the night.

Hmmnn... is this sarcasm?

You can have my HID light when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.

I'm too used to seeing the road, left, right, and 40 yards in front of me to go back to halogen. I'm not willing to start dodging traffic at intersections again, or riding into the ditch to get out of the way of traffic passing on the left.

It was these concerns that started this thread.

I've been wondering whether John Law is going to pull me over some night and give me a talking-to about my lamp. So far, no. In fact, they may well be supportive of such a light on dark roads. But you never know.

Not that I think there is any real concern about their legality. The bike HID's are much dimmer than car halogen lights, and if push came to shove it should be possible to make some sort of cowling to deflect light back down onto the road and spare oncoming drivers and pedestrians some glare.

But again, I'm just wondering about the views/experiences of others here.