Thread: Swift folders
View Single Post
Old 08-26-06, 11:26 AM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by flea
You didn't mention why you didn't go with the SRAM DualDrive--sorry if I missed it in the thread (I searched but the monster size of this thread, combined with forum search not running right now makes that difficult )
I don't think I ever wrote why. So here goes..

Several things:
  • I wanted drop bars, but officially SRAM say road shifters won't work with the DualDrive. Most mechanics I spoke to thought it would be hard to adjust the internal gear, because the cable pulled by STi levers would not match. I guess it can't be impossible, since Bike Friday manage it.
  • I wanted v-brakes to give plenty of clearance for tires and fenders (mudguards), and the only v-brake compatible road levers are not STi. I could have used TravelAgents, but they are quite expensive and not an ideal solution. I suppose I could also have put the DualDrive shifter on the bar end, like I have with the Sturmey-Archer shifter.
  • I wanted hub gears - both for the simplicity of use and because there wouldn't be any delicate bits sticking out when folded.

I guess I'm just a wimp too! I knew I could make the hub gears work, but was uncertain what would be involved with the DualDrive. I'm a mechanical engineer, I hang my head in shame But I didn't want to wait a long time to use the bike, since it's my only means of transport.

In retrospect I still wonder about this decision. I don't think the derailleur would have been much of a problem, I maintain my things and only ride on the road. I had originally wanted to have the Swift as my one do-all bike, but loaded touring will be more or less out of the question with the limited range of the S-A. I guess I'll just have to start saving for a Schlumpf MountainDrive!