Old 08-30-06, 03:33 PM
robmitchell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Tandem Brakes? again....

Hi,

We are getting a new Carbon tandem and selling our 1999 Aluminum Santana Sovereign.
This is just in time for Cycle Oregon which we rode last year also.

The first topic is brake choice. We have selected the front dura ace rim brake and avid mechanical rear disc.

Our current tandem has the Formula hydralic disc we bought 5-6 years ago AFTER a blow out on
the rear tire descending Molas pass in Colorado using rim brakes. We had stopped once to cool the
rims and were almost at the bottom when we blew the tube. We kept the bike upright due to being
out of downhill and luck. The scare left an impression on us, and I kept the shredded tire for a
reminder.

The formula brake has worked great for us (I know lots of people hated it and removed it) and last month we had it serviced and have been using it to descend from the local ski area with success.

How does the avid compare?

How does the carbon tandem handle compared to a stiff aluminum on the downhill?

Anyone with experience please include team weight, terrain and anything else applicable.

We weigh about 300 and have attended numerous tandem rallies. I also race some road and MTB
and have experience with steel, carbon and Ti single road bikes.

I am also familiar with the different braking techniques reccomended by "experts".

Thanks for your positive, constructive and inspiring input.

Rob